Bayante heart Ubuntu

Bayantel came over today and installed our DSL and phone line. Yay to them. Service installation is estimated within 3 - 5 days and they did it on the 3rd! It took some mark-type "convincing" but it's really good that they listened and prioritized our application. One minor caveat though: we applied for a phone + dsl package and surprise, surprise: the phone unit doesn't come with the phone line. Dang. If I'm not too tired (and mukhang takot na sakin yung agent) i would have fought for it but Oh well, I'm just glad that they were able to install the DSL quickly.

Btw, they didn't configure the DSL since their technicians didn't know how to do it in Ubuntu. (fair enough...) Their usual protocol is to have the user download rp_pppoe first, a pppoe dialer with gui for the PPPoE connection (you'd have to do that outside, of course), then call their tech support for the step by step guide, but it turns out that ubuntu's out-of-the-box pppoeconf works superbly with Bayantel. Thanks goes to this great guide by a fellow Ubuntu user. Yehey ulit. I'm still thinking if i will still install the a gui pppoe dialer, but since i already set pppoeconf to connect at boot time, i can put that off for the mean time.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you Bayantel DSL works better than mine does from Tacloban. I have the P2,699 account and when I go to the USA, usually, it's to slow. About 20 seconds or longer to load a site. I am going to go back to dialup as I am paying for nothing for the speeds I am getting. Tacloban to Manila is fine, but how much web surfing does one do to Manila?

    I think they need more cable capacity. This started about 2 weeks ago.

    If if am not getting DSL speed I might as well have dial up.

    Irritated in Tacloban

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi anonymous. I hope this is not an April Fool's joke, since the statement
    when I go to the USA, usually, it's to slow.
    sounds really funny.

    But if by that statement you mean visiting the us-based websites (and Tacloban - manila means visiting manila-based ones), then um that speed really sucks.

    I'm just curious though how you can be certain about the actual location the servers of the webpages that you're surfing.

    Anyway, i'm paying for the 384kpbs plan (they throttle it up to 1mbps at night) and so far i'm getting good speed.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there ! No CAPTCHA here. Hope that makes things easier for you guys.

For Anonymous commenters, if we know each other, pls ping me through other private channels (Text or Email) after you comment here, ayt?

Hokay? Comment away, kiddo!