A few notes and a Wish Item about the new Contacts

As soon as Frank's comments came in to my inbox this afternoon, I immediately noticed that my Gmail got updated too. Everything but the atom feed was there, and as I have said before, the new contacts was the best of all the updates, at least in my opinion. Here are a few comments about the New Contacts.

  • They decided to get rid of the "Are you sure you want to delete X?" warning notice when you're deleting a contact. I like the new way of things, since Alert notices can sometimes become sooo annoying anyway(WTF? of course I want to delete my contacts! I just pressed delete didn't I?). Well, Gmail users will just become more careful in deleting their contacts according to this article.

  • When I add a secondary email to a contact and then use the auto-complete feature, the secondary email doesn't show up. They should appear! They can just put it after the main email address.

I forgot what my other comments were. I'll just update this entry as soon as I remember them.

Now on to my wish list item.

Live contacts search : Why did they leave this out? If you have live autocomplete in the Compose view, then there should be one in the Contacts View. Here's a possible implementation:


When there are more than one contacts matching a live query, the default action (ie a user strikes Enter) is to show all contacts matching the query. When a unique contact is found as a user types, the dropdown list will just display the matching contact and pressing Enter will go directly to that match.

One other thing: if a live search like this exists, the contact's search field will be spared from the browser's default auto-complete. Afterall, why should my Google searches be suggested when I'm looking for my contacts?

So what are your thoughts on Gmail's new features? Do you think that a live search should be added to the contacts? If yes, then suggest it to the Gmail team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there ! No CAPTCHA here. Hope that makes things easier for you guys.

For Anonymous commenters, if we know each other, pls ping me through other private channels (Text or Email) after you comment here, ayt?

Hokay? Comment away, kiddo!