Jive Love

JiveSoftware has become one of my favorite open source companies this year, having discovered their great collaboration offerings*. We have deployed their openfire XMPP server here at work (convincing people that it's better than using YM or IP Message is another thing, :p ).

The reason I'm blogging about them now is that I just found out about their free licenses: Jive is  offering free licenses (unlimited I assume) for OpenSource developers and user groups for their Clearspace X and Jive Forums products.

So if you're working on an open source project and you're thinking of building a community around your project, you may want to take a look at what Jive's offering.

*also, I really dig their kickass web site design.

2 comments:

  1. YM sucks! I don't use the YM app, anymore -- I use Meebo instead, which is being seriously buffed up recently. =D

    As for IPMsg, I only learned about it in my new job, and it's quite hard to say whether it's any good. I like how easy it is to have LAN messaging and that you can even pass around files (passing files are so-so, but passing an entire folder surprised me!). However, I didn't like how its primitive interface and logging.

    As for Jive's stuff, I think I already mentioned that I set-up Wildfire back in our Calamba office. It was very easy to set-up, and the basic IM features that I look for (offline messages, group chat, file transfer and, yeah, emoticons =p) are readily available over our LAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meebo. :) I don't why, but I'm really finding it hard to include it in my system. Maybe I can still taste the bitter first taste I had when I first used it during its early days.

    On IPMessage, actually i'm torn. IP Message's decentralized nature can also be a good thing, but I agree with you, the UI is really a big turn off. More on the decentralized concept, I think extending Spark to support bonjour/zeronconf is a good idea. I think I'm listing that under my someday-maybe list.

    About IPMessage's file transfer: I haven't really looked deep into the technical details, but I have encountered times when IPMessage's file transfer is a lot slower than Openfire's (on the same network). Same here btw about the folder transfer. hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there ! No CAPTCHA here. Hope that makes things easier for you guys.

For Anonymous commenters, if we know each other, pls ping me through other private channels (Text or Email) after you comment here, ayt?

Hokay? Comment away, kiddo!