BackBlog

Stowe Boyd nailed what I think is the real big implication of what Gmail is doing in integrating Google Talk with Gmail.
"...Google is hastening the inevitable collapse of the Berlin Wall
between real-time communication (chat) and slow-time communication
(email)."

I meant to post this on the day Google integrated Talk with Gmail, then forgot about it in my local drafts. Since i don't remember what i was trying to say after this anyway, i might as well post it now. Now, because there are now too many good stuff piled in my to-blog list, i can't take it anymore.

First. (chronologically, as i remember it)
Google launched its web-page creator (pages.google.com), though i think they're suspended registration till now. This is one of the products that is aimed to pass the grand-ma test (my grandma can use it). Excellent showcase of AJAX stuff for the geeks, a super-easy to use tool for those mere mortals who just want to contribute to the world wide web of information pool. Check my test page. When Google pages opens up for larger public consumption, i highly recommend it for your family members, a very nice way to get them started in creating online content.

Second.
Ray Ozzie, the man who is behind Microsoft's efforts in being relevant again in the world of network computing, presented in Etech the idea of extending the idea of the clipboard in the web 2.0 context. Read more on his blog and this simple demo.

Third
Mike of Techcrunch.com presented the screenshots of the upcoming (i hope soon) CL2, Google's Calendar. I've been using 30Boxes for the past weeks as my main online calendaring app, but Google's offering just blows 30 boxes away. I've never felt this urge to become a beta tester again since Gmail launched.

Fourth.
Writely, a web-based word processor, gets acquired by Google. Nothing surprising here, but still, it's very exciting to hear this development. More on the Google blog and Writely blog.

that's all for now. Links coming later.

2 comments:

  1. um. come on, the google product isn't out yet ;-)

    and it looks kinda boring, no?

    we just launched sms reminders ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey narendra, i know it isn't out yet, so i'm sorry about saying that CL2 blows 30boxes away. I would have felt the same if i were in your team :)

    But you'd have to agree with me that the the "boring" look of cl2 and it's feature set is something that you should not ignore if you intend to compete with it(and I really hope that you do). To your merit, i'd say that simplicity is the one thing that I really like about 30boxes. But simplicity can hurt the product's sophistication, which, in some cases is a necessary thing. I have nothing against how you've made 30boxes simple enough to (i think) pass the grandma test, but when i saw the cl2 screenshots, i did see some features present there that were not present in your app. For me, the one who's able to find the sweet spot between simplicity and necessary sophistication wins the game. Keep up the good work, and continue making 30boxes a kick-ass app.

    (You know i was secretly hoping that Google would acquire you guys, but aparrently they were working on their calendaring app for a long time already)

    And, last thing, about your SMS reminders: It would really be useful to me if i could actually use it, unfortunately you don't support the providers in my country yet.

    Thanks for dropping by, I hope you return to see my reply.

    I am still using your app, and still inviting friends over.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there ! No CAPTCHA here. Hope that makes things easier for you guys.

For Anonymous commenters, if we know each other, pls ping me through other private channels (Text or Email) after you comment here, ayt?

Hokay? Comment away, kiddo!